Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Preparing For It

Re-posting from the blog I got rid of on squarespace.
It is Christmas so I figure there is no more appropriate time to begin this madness than now. If you know me at all, you also know how passionate I am about food and living a healthy lifestyle and such.  It was one of the main reasons I chose to get out of the navy.  I remember my first underway.  Everything I ate was so disgusting that I spent that entire week surging only on French fries and the occasional chicken tenders.  It was a little before my health kick sort of came into its own and taste was the absolute most important factor.  
I eventually started surviving on sandwiches, beef jerky and protein shakes.  I felt better for sure, but I didn't feel healthy.  My sodium levels had to have been at some awe inspiring record breaking levels.  Nevertheless in the eyes of the military-industrial complex I was considered healthy. Even to this day, the level of quality of the food is still shocking.
But I digress...
So about a couple of weeks ago, I decided to watch this movie on Netflix called "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead".  It is a movie where this guy who is obese and has all of these crazy ailments and is on tons of medications decides to do something completely insane.  Live on a diet of just fruit and vegetable juice.  He comes out at the end of he fast and ends up getting off of all of his medications and suddenly being healthy.  I think that this movie did a good job of showing the health benefits that could bee.gained from a juicing.  What it failed to show is the negatives of a diet that consists of only juice.
So why am I doing this? I do realize that a diet of only juice is completely unhealthy, but at this point, my own individual vainity outweighs my desire to be healthy by just a little.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get sick and die or anything like that, but I just want to shed a few pounds.
I also want to make this fast a period where I can completely divorce myself from fast food.  I do eat fast food very rarely, but there is the rare occasion (about once a month)  or so where I do eat fast food because I am on the go and haven't planned something out quote right and I'm hungry.  This is something that I want to completely eliminate from my life (with the exception of a Double Double Animal style with animal style fries should I ever make the journey back to southern California and happen to pass an In-N-Out Burger). I also very rarely eat processed foods (stupid work)  and I want to end that as well.
I also want to drastically reduce the amount of meat that I eat.  This all veggie and fruit diet (along with almond and coconut milk, whey protein and healthy oils) will be a good jumpstart to that.  I already know that I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. A diet dependent on them may help me to become accustomed to a diet that doesn't include as much meat.
Then there is the productivity side of this.  I spend too much of my time.... far too much of my time, goofing off watching TV on the Internet. I want to spend more time reading learning and bettering myself.  So along with the diet I am limiting my TV to one hour a day (excluding 49ers games and Heat games against an opponent with a record of >0.500... I know but I want to make this something I cm actually accomplish). I do think limiting my TV and Internet use to one hour is going to be almost as hard as the food part.  I grew up with TV. Watching it all the time and I'm pretty sure I average between 20 and 30 hours a week (while dicking. Around on the Internet because I am a true multitasking).
Then there is the spiritual side of things, I think its pretty embarrassing that I call myself a Christian but I have never read the Bible from cover to cover. I mean sure I know a lot of scriptures and have been taught a lot of thongs but all of that is through the eyes and context of the teachings of a minister.  I don't know enough to be able to make a rational decision or be able to tell if somebody is full of shit to a certain degree. I cant make informed arguments and I haven't a clue where the Bible stands on all of those hot topic issues of social conservatism that seem to get a great many Christians riled up.
But really the main reason I am doing this is because if I can do this I can do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment